Thursday, May 05, 2005

My Mother: Maa

When I started writing this poem yesterday night, little did I know that May 8th is mother day and is in sight. I feel happy that I wrote this poem around the right time in some sense. However, for me, every day is Mother's day. I hope blog-readers will like this poem dedicated to my mother. Oh yes, and a break from politics.

Maa

triputravRRindasevitaaM |
trilokashokavedhitaaM ||
trikaalachakramuktidaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 1 ||

dine dine suharShadaaM |
sujanmadaaM supoShaNaaM ||
sadaa sapremapaalitaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 2 ||

aGYaanabhaavanaashiniiM |
mukundabhaktibhaaShiNiiM ||
vimuuDhaguuDhaGYaanadaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 3 ||

kurogamadhyasevitaaM |
kuyogamadhyapreritaaM ||
abodhakaalakhelitaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 4 ||

anaathagodadhaariNiiM |
samastaduHkhavaariNiiM ||
kapolalolachumbitaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 5 ||

vishaalaniirajaakshiNiiM |
sadaa hRRidau nivaasiniiM ||
sugaNDachakrashobhitaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 6 ||

sukhaamRRitasya yachhiniiM|
viShaadashokabhakshiNiiM ||
kukaalakaShTaghaalitaaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 7 ||

sadaa karaavalambitaaM |
sadaa sukhaadicintitaaM ||
dayaakshamaadadaamyahaM |
smaraami chaarumaataraM || 8 ||

hare vidhe prasiida me |
varottamaM dadaamyahaM ||
yadaa manuShya janmadaM |
tadaa ushaiva maataraM || 9 ||


Meaning

I remember my beautiful mother who is served by three sons^, absolves the pain and misery of this world from me, and gave me a chance to attain salvation by giving me birth.||1||

I remember my beautiful mother who gives me happiness every day, gave me birth and raised me ever since then, and always nurtured me with love and affection.||2||

I remember my beautiful mother who destroyed the ill-knowledge within me, is the first one to tell me about Mukunda*, and gave deep knowledge to the utmost ignorant son [that is me].||3||

I remember my beautiful mother who always took care during my sickness, encouraged me during struggle, and played with me during my un-conscious [infant] years.||4||

I remember my beautiful mother who took this orphan (me) into her hands and lap, [and hence] destroyed all my grief and sorrows, and kissed my cheeks [after I was born].||5||

I remember my beautiful mother who has beautiful big lotus like eyes, always resides inside my heart, and has two beautiful dimples in her cheeks.||6||

I remember my beautiful mother who showered me with potion of happiness, eats up [destroys] sorrows and grief from my life, and slays my pain during bad times.||7||

I remember my beautiful mother who always, supports me by lending her hand, thinks about my happiness and bliss, and forgives/mercies my ignorance.||8||

O Hari! O Destiny! Please be happy with me and give me the best boon. Whenever I am born as a human, I shall be born as the son of Usha^^.||9||

Comments

Chhanda - paMchachaamara

Footnote

^ We are three brothers.
* Mukunda is another name for Lord Vishnu.
^^ Usha is the name of my mother.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com