Sunday, May 08, 2005

God and Me: Mirabai

The relation between God and world continues to be a relation between nothing and everything. This eternal truth is very nicely reflected by Mirabai in the famos poem ``Jo Tum Todo Piya." The soulful composition and rendition by Vasant Desai and Lata Mangeshkar, respectively, prompted me to share this beautiful gem with my blog readers. Notice how beautifully Mirabai admits in every line that she is inseparable and totally dependent on Krishna.






1) You [Krishna] may break the bond of love from me, but I will not do the same. If I break the bond of love from you, whom will I substitute you with? In essence, God cannot be replaced.
2) If You [Krishna] are a tree, I am a bird. If You are a lake, I am a fish.
3) If You are a mountain, I am grass over it. If You are the moon, I am chakora^.
4) If You, O Lord, are a pearl, I am the thread. If You are gold, I am the bond of marriage^^.
5) The Lord of Mirabai is the resident of Vraj, i.e., Krishna. I am Your's in entirety, O my Lord.

^ Chakora is a bird which continuously watches moon.
^^ Notice in all these You-I relations, Mira places herself on the lower pedestal and defines the dependence by using a dependence in nature.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com